Sunday, April 6, 2014

URSP Student Shezeen Rehmani Models and Simulates a Bioinspired Neuronal Network of the Primary Motor Cortex


Intrigued by the answers that are never attained by science, I consider myself an individual who is drawn towards every opportunity to enhance my knowledge. This desire for knowledge drove me towards the ambiguities of the brain, one that has led me to bioengineering. The field of computer neuroscience is an up and coming one, that not only works towards making a difference in how the brain would be studied in the future, but also tries to understand the abstraction of the brain. The brain is a fascinating organ of the human body.

My long-term goals include obtaining a master’s and subsequently a MBA. Where this project is going to set basis for graduate school, it also satisfies my thirst for knowledge.

A typical week at the Sensory Motor Lab has me sitting on my designated workspace in front of my computer working on the modeling and simulation of the primary motor cortex. The week starts strong, with defined outcomes. However, as any other research the expected outcomes give way to troubleshooting syntax and the theoretical probabilities that the model uses. As a senior, time during the week is limited, and thus over the weekend I try catching up on the missed work.

Computers do not lie, something I learn over and over again. Simply thinking that you have everything right in terms of syntax, and code does not mean that is the case.