Thursday, June 11, 2015

FWS Research Assistant Highlights: Linda Lim


After coming back from a summer course abroad in Peru that focused on primate behavior and conservation, I knew I wanted to continue learning more about conservation. I was able to find an opening for two undergraduate conservation biologists through OSCAR. The job description included camera trap identifications that are based in the Peruvian jungle. This job required its employee to watch video clips from their motion-sensor camera traps set all around the Maijuna’s land and to identify the mammals that were seen. I was exposed to camera trappings and videos from these electronics from my time spent in Peru which helped me throughout this job. The one summer course in Peru on primates really prepared me in the beginning of applying and working on this project.
I currently work under Michael Gilmore and his partner, Mark Bowler on multiple researches. From the data collected by these video identifications, the researchers would then be able to analyze the data. Some of the research projects that I was able to help out include which mammal is feeding on a rich fruit called the aguaje or how the population of specific species differs from the past to now. When I first started working under Michael Gilmore in the Fall of 2014 I worked alongside, Kathleen Copeland-Fish an Environmental Science major and a volunteer John Probert who is part of the New Century College (NCC) Integrative Studies Program.
My responsibilities entitle me to spend ten hours a week looking at the videos that are ten seconds to one minute long. The basic identifications include observing the number, type of species, and the sex of the mammals. Since the past week I was able to watch a short clip of a short-eared dog with a shrew inside its mouth. I know that even though I may not be doing exactly what I am doing now in the future, the experience and knowledge I was able to gain from my mentor Dr. Gilmore and watching these videos will help me in my future education or job.