Tuesday, September 16, 2014

URSP Highlights: Mihret Tafesse

URSP Highlights: Mihret Tafesse


My research project focuses on analyzing the contribution of microtubules to cell structure and function.  This week I worked with cells that I have transfected with EGFP tubulin to allow the microtubules to show green fluorescence.  I used a micro patterning method to allow cells to bind to treated patterns on a petri dish.  This way, I can analyze the microtubules and the  correlation of microtubules and cell structure. In these micro patterns, generally 1 to a few cells generally fit in each pattern.  The shapes of these cells is then analyzed after they attach to these specific patterns.   To make this experiment happen this week, I also had to do work preparing the cells, petri dishes and other equipment used. 




Mihret Tafesse