Tuesday, April 21, 2015

URSP Student Ezza Anees Researches Human Trafficking


My research project is based on survivors of human trafficking, more specifically sex trafficking survivors who are reintegrated into their community but unfortunately face economic financial crisis.  This topic is not covered excessively in research and there’s very little accurate information provided in literature.  This fact provoked my interest in learning more about the everyday struggles of this specific population.  There are many factors that contribute to the economic well being of a sex trafficked survivor.  Through this research, I’m able to learn what services and programs this vulnerable population needs in order to protect them from not only being re-trafficked but also main a stable healthy environment around them. 

In the long run, I would like to continue working on research projects that are related to human trafficking.  My research right now gives me an opportunity to gain an understanding of one specific form of trafficking.  In the future, it will help me enhance my knowledge on what I’ve already learned.  On weekly basis, I work on small pieces of the report I’m creating with my mentor.  This requires me to read other research literature that has already been conducted so that I can use it towards my benefit.  I also meet with my mentor weekly to discuss ideas and receive feedback.  As I was reading the interviews that were conducted from the survivors of sex trafficking, I learned that many women were sent to brothels that were funded by American soldiers stationed in the Philippines.  It’s one thing to know that as a general fact but a whole another emotional setback when you read about a story full of details from a person who was forced to please one of our soldiers.  It’s sad and heartbreaking!