Tuesday, January 13, 2015

FWS Research Assistant Highlights: RaNeka Scott


As an OSCAR RA, I am currently working on a nutrition study with Dr. Cara Frankenfeld.  The study focuses on the relationship between where an individual lives and their eating habits. 
Each week, I collect data using a dietary assessment program, as well as a database module containing information on U.S. businesses.  With the addresses given by each subject participating in the study, using the database module, I download and collapse information about the locations of grocery stores, pharmacies, cafeterias, and bars within a certain mile radius.  Using the dietary assessment program, I enter in the dietary information given by each of the subjects, in order to further analyze the relationship.
One thing I learned this week was how simple it is to modify resources being used to collect data for research.  I have always been afraid of the research process, knowing that sometimes there are things you simply cannot get around when collecting data and making analyses. However, this week I was continuously reminded of how wonderful technology is when you need to enter and assess data very quickly. 
Becoming involved in the OSCAR RA program has been wonderful! I have learned so much, and have been granted opportunities to network with individuals who are passionate about public health and research just like I am.  As an undergraduate student, I have learned so much from those individuals, as they are now starting their own research studies. I would like to further my education and continue on to graduate school, and this opportunity has set me apart from other cohorts because I have gained research experience.  I hope to continue to learn, and as I advance I hope to use this information to help others, as well as make a difference in the world.