For almost two years now, I have been working with Dr. Singh, a Professor of Global Affairs and Cultural Studies here at Mason, on his research project concerning participation within development projects in the sector of information technology and communications. The work we have been working in since last year has included coding over 200 World Bank Projects, we have since then finished this as of May 2015. Now we have moved on to the next step in order to support our findings we are now comparing our data sets to the Independent Evaluation Group’s (IEG) findings on these same projects. This year, we are working with over 11,000 projects and hope to extract information for these projects in order to further support the results Dr. Singh, myself, and the other research assistants have come up with.
On a weekly basis, I input data into both coding sets we currently have; our World Bank Project coding and now, the IEG findings. Currently, I am inputting IEG data information into our World Bank data in order to make it easier on us when comparing data sets.
One thing I have discovered this week are the barriers researchers go through; there comes a time when research encounter an obstacle and in order to push through it you have to find a solution through various means. A coding scheme was created for us, when we jumped on board, but now I am seeing Dr. Singh come up with another coding scheme for the new data set, so this year has been a completely different experience because I can see how difficult it can be in order to fit all criteria need especially when looking for accuracy.
I am a senior graduating in May of 2016, and I hope to continue working within the field of Global affairs in any aspect of international relations. I have currently applied to George Mason’s Master’s Program and hope to continue my education and also continue having a hand in research.