Sunday, December 29, 2019

URSP Student Holly To Analyzes Water Samples with Chromatogram

During the winter break of 2017, I assisted my professor on learning about new equipment known as the ion chromatogram in the lab. I learned how to use the ion chromatograph as well as create necessary components for the data acquisition process. I found that enjoyable and wanted to develop my own findings in relation to human land use. When I think about my long-term goals, I believe it will play a large role in the direction I am aiming towards. I hope to one day attend medical school; I’ve learned that laboratory experience is a necessity. This project has allowed me to gain laboratory experience which I can apply to my resume.

On a weekly basis, I would run standard water analysis, including pH, turbidity, conductivity, alkalinity, and total suspended mass. This would be done to my water samples that I collect biweekly. Furthermore, I am also beginning to collect pore or soil water as well as collect soil samples to analyze. All water samples are then analyzed through an ion chromatogram to determine the ion levels. What I discovered in my time researching is that keeping a detailed log is important. Knowing when standards expire, and how long ago you made certain solutions are important to getting precise data as quickly and efficiently as possible.