Thursday, October 4, 2018

OSCAR Student Natalia Gutierrez Ribera Looks at the Working Conditions of Latina Immigrants in the Cleaning Industry

This summer I am doing research with three other students working on the LIMPIAR project. The purpose of this study is to learn about the working conditions of Latina women in the cleaning industry and see the impact that this work has on their health. We are interviewing Central American women from the area of Alexandria that are currently working or have worked in the cleaning industry. The result of this study will inform us about the challenges that Latina women and their families face as immigrants, thus helping our understanding of their needs. In the future, the outcome of this study could aid in policy changes or interventions for the betterment of the Latino community.
My interest to do this kind of research comes from my desire to help people, specially underrepresented and minority groups such as the Latino community. Previously, I have assisted in other research projects involving this group of people, thus I was excited to be part of the LIMPIAR project. Being a part of this study has broadened my understanding of the challenges and obstacles that Latino Immigrants face. In addition, this study has made me reflect on the importance of been active in the community and to participate in the process of policy making through voting and advocating to give voice to those who don’t have it. This research experience will be valuable for me as I consider Public Health for my postgraduate education.