Friday, September 15, 2017

OSCAR Student Aurora Johnston Researches the Effects of Burning Carcasses on Insect Succession Patterns in Carrion Communities

My research this summer aims to understand the effects of different parameters on the insect succession on carrion communities. I became interested in this summer team project because this was a topic that I didn’t know much about and wanted to learn about first-hand. The appeal of enhancing my skills in both the field and laboratory was another factor, as well as the chance to have creative contribution to a scientific experiment. I was interested in the effect of burning carrion and how that would affect the succession patterns of insects in the community and the rate of decomposition. This project has both ecological and forensic components. My long-term career goal is to perform CSI and forensic work on criminal cases that involve wildlife including illegal pet trade cases, illegal animal parts trade, and other cases that involve endangered species. This project provided me with insight into the world of forensic entomology and it’s been beneficial to gain a personal understanding of how forensic entomologists contribute to solving criminal cases.

The study started with fieldwork where our team placed 60 rat carcasses in a field and collected samples of insects on the decomposing carcass for 10 days. Since then, we have been identifying and recording insect species in the laboratory. We are in the process of performing statistics on the data to understand the relationship between our parameters and the insect succession patterns.


I learned through my research that burning a carcass increases the rate of decomposition and also increases the rate that insects are attracted to a carcass. I also learned that there are hundreds of species of flies and that all are important to the understanding of succession patterns of carrion communities. I am grateful to have the opportunity to understand analyses performed in the professional field, to contribute to the ecological and forensic science research communities, and to contribute to the scientific research community at George Mason University.