Tuesday, May 2, 2017

URSP Student Bilal Aljeburry Evaluates Bay 41-2272 against Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis

My name is Bilal Aljeburry. I am currently a junior pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Biology (BS). Growing up, I observed my grandmother always having someone to help her get up and she always walked slow and had a cane as her support. As a kid, I was trying to understand what makes her walk differently than the rest of us. I started questioning myself about the human body and ruminating how the human skeleton functions. I started asking my school teachers; my interest in biology kept increasing as I started to get my questions answered.

I started to learn about a new world, a world on a molecular level. I started to learn how the knowledge about the human body can lessen the suffering of people from harmful illnesses or injuries. Thus, expanding my knowledge in biology through conducting research would be a stepping stone to reach many of the different goals that I plan to achieve.

I learned about Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) from my lab mentor, Dr. Geraldine Grant. I had meeting with her before I started conducting my research. We discussed the disease and the current issues facing the researchers in the field. Once the fall 2016 semester started, I began conducting my research concerning this interstitial disease. My project focused on evaluating a drug named Bay 41-2272 against this disease. We had some excellent results and some results that were the opposite of what we expected. We faced difficulties throughout many experiments, such as dissolving the drug in media.

I learned many lessons regarding research. Throughout my experience, I learned how research works and how I can start a project regarding a certain disease. I learned that research is time consuming and it does not always go the way we want it to. I learned that patience is key. I also gained experience in looking at experimental results and drawing conclusions out of them.
Currently I am continuing my project. My focus now is evaluating the relationship between telomere length in IPF cells and normal cells. I cannot wait to present my results from this experiment. I am also planning to continue researching this disease over the upcoming summer.