Monday, December 5, 2016

URSP Student Terrence Moran Researches the Use of Digital Image Correlation Technology to Model Accurate Stress-Strain Curves

My name is Terrence Moran and I am currently in my last year as an undergraduate student, pursuing a bachelor of science in civil engineering. Within the vast realm of civil engineering, my specific passion is structural engineering and the mechanics of materials. My research involves the use of digital image correlation technology to model a more accurate stress-strain curve in corroded steel.

I initially became interested in more efficient methods of inspecting infrastructure while interning as a bridge inspector in the Washington D.C. region. I witnessed the inconsistencies with the industry standard of visual inspection, and the absence of a long-term tracking system. An accurate and consistent inspection system would allow future prognosis using big data, and proper allocation of funding to repair and replace the vital components of the rapidly deteriorating American Infrastructure.

During the fall semester of 2016, I was given an opportunity to work with Dr. Lattanzi and his research group. The Lattanzi Research Group consists of an interdisciplinary collection of engineers and computer scientists dedicated to the design and maintenance of civil infrastructure systems. Utilizing my mentor’s, and the rest of the group’s, experience while having access to cutting edge technology has been a great opportunity and has improved my research.

So far this semester, I have been quantifying the physical properties of my steel specimens while also building 3-D models. The next step in my research is to use DIC technology in congruence with tensile testing to determine the effects of corrosion stress concentrations with respect to strength and ductility loss.