Thursday, December 1, 2016

URSP Student Alyssa Rowan Investigates How the Bangladeshi Government Can Create an Energy Portfolio and Engage the International Community

I originally considered the OSCAR program in the spring 2016 semester. I was writing a term long research paper regarding the energy portfolio of Bangladesh. I wanted to broaden the aspects of my research so I decided to focus on humanitarian issues surrounding environmental equity in Bangladesh. Through discussion of the prior with my mentor I developed the research question: How can the Bangladeshi government create an energy portfolio to engage the international community when environmental equity is not an international priority? My hypothesis is the international community is prioritizing other political issues due to economic benefits, political process, and immediate threat. I desire for the project to not only expand upon my previous research but build upon the knowledge that is essential to a dynamic and ever-changing field, Environmental and Sustainability Studies. In a broader scope, the project will encompass the values and ideals that are necessary to resilience: social justice, human rights, and environmental equity.

At the conclusion of my research, my paper regarding Bangladesh will allow our nation's leaders to see the immediate threat climate change poses to social equity and energy security. I also plan on submitting my paper for publication. I also desire to present my research at the appropriate forums including but not limited to research conferences and symposiums. The research project will lend information that is essential to the development of a better international community that promotes social justice, energy security, and environmental stability.

Throughout the past weeks I have been preforming literature analysis, filling out the IRB application, and forming questions to ask government officials, non-profit organization leaders, and non-governmental individuals. Through literature analysis I have been able to form in depth questions that will answer my research question stated above. I have learned that time management is a necessity and that one must be open to setbacks while preforming research. In addition, I have learned that research is ever evolving and always changing.