Wednesday, October 19, 2016

URSP Student Leanna Moron Conducts a Follow-up Qualitative Study

My name is Leanna Moron and I am a senior majoring in Human Development and Family Science with a minor in Statistics. This is my second semester participating in the Undergraduate Research Scholars Program. I am currently working on a follow-up qualitative study, based on my findings from my previous project, under the supervision of Dr. Colleen Vesely.

In the Spring 2016 semester, my URSP mentor was Dr. Bethany Letiecq and we worked on a  quantitative project focused on delineating the strongest predictors of depressive symptomatology among undocumented, Central American mothers. One of the key findings was that poor housing conditions was a strong predictor of depression.

Therefore, my follow-up URSP study is focused on how the physical and social aspects of housing conditions influence these mother's’ day-to-day lives. As part of a qualitative study, I do a variety of tasks including conducting literature reviews, assisting with in-depth interviews, transcribing in-depth interviews, managing data, and attending community advisory board meetings.


This November, I will be presenting my research at the 2016 National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) conference in Minneapolis, MN. I will be participating in a poster symposium and am very honored to be disseminating results at the national level to family science scholars.



This project is directly in alignment with my long-term goals as I want to pursue a career in research related to the social sciences, health and well-being. I would like to say thank you to OSCAR for the opportunities I have had across my two independent studies. I would also like to express my gratitude for the opportunities, guidance and mentorship that I have had from Dr. Colleen Vesely and Dr. Bethany Letiecq.