Friday, October 28, 2016

URSP Student Antarius Daniel Investigates Temporal Perceptions of Human Subjects


My name is Antarius Daniel and I am a senior pursuing a Bachelor’s in Bioengineering. My professor, Dr. Joiner, gave me the opportunity to work in his sensorimotor lab beginning in the Fall 2016 semester. He proposed the project idea of investigating temporal perceptions of human subjects. I researched previous works on this subject and there were multiple studies on temporal perception in mice. The mice were trained to categorize sound lengths that were either longer or shorter than a reference sound. Investigators found that there was a correlation between the movement of the mouse and the ultimate decision by the mouse. We decided to extend this study to humans to see if the same patterns can be extracted, giving clues to how the brain encodes for time.

This project interested me because there is limited information on this subject, so to be a part of expanding that knowledge is very exciting. This has also been a great opportunity to familiarize myself with the research process. There are many steps in creating a great experiment such as literature review, procedural planning, data acquisition, and data analysis. I hope to one day be a part of cutting edge research that will better medical care and outcomes, so this experience is giving me vital skills for my future career goals.

So far this semester, I have been aiding in finalizing the procedure and requirements for the human testing. This includes pilot testing to obtain preliminary data and ensuring validity of the tests. I have also been in close contact with my professor to discuss different aspects of the research.


Once the final touches are made, human subject testing will begin to get real data that can further analyzed.