Monday, April 18, 2016

URSP Student Ji Hyun Min Studies Molecular Modeling and Docking of Newly Synthesized Caspase 3 Inhibitors

When I was young, I had the chance to watch a TV series, where there were a couple of surgeons going around the country and volunteering to perform retina implant surgery to those who are deprived and blind. Ever since then, my passion was becoming a surgeon who can give hope and joy to people, just as those surgeons did. And as I take more science laboratory classes I got more interested in the research, especially for those relate to medical subjects. So when I was introduced to the relationship between the Caspases and the neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, from the research in Dr. Honeychuck’s lab, it was very interesting to me.

As I mentioned above, as I am planning to prepare for the medical school, I expect this research to benefit my understanding in many medical subjects.


For the past couple months, I have been learning about several different computational programs and molecular docking. I have collected quantitative data for Caspase 3 and Caspase 7 from those programs, and I have prepared the proper file formats for the proposed list of ligands and processed enzyme. And this week, I started to analyze the collected data and the trend of their binding to Caspase 3 enzymeactive site.