Thursday, September 28, 2017

OSCAR Student Nicole Hatcher Performs Literature Analysis and Coding for Excel Tables

Hello, my name is Nicole and I am an undergraduate student here at George Mason University. This summer I was able to have the opportunity to work with George Mason Nutrition and Food Studies Department. Working with the Nutrition and Food Studies Department at George Mason interested me, as it would lead me to expand my knowledge and understanding of nutrition research. The internship through OSCAR brought on new adventures with learning how to code data and read through many published works to help my partner and I construct our own research question. The summer internship brought forth new knowledge and work ethic. From my internship I hope I can take what I have learned and carry that new knowledge with me when I work in the healthcare field.

This summer my research project was a partner project with another undergraduate student. During the internship, my partner and I would work on literature analysis while also coding data for our excel tables. Every week we would have different goals to meet, and our mentor, Dr.Slavin, would work alongside us to make sure we were headed in the right direction with our research.

From this opportunity to work alongside so many wonderful individuals it allowed me to see how research is conducted and how hard it is at times. I have a new appreciation for research, since it is something that takes a lot of time and patience. The research conducted this summer by our team was challenging at times, but seeing the results and interpreting the data at the end was worth it, since we were able to see the results of our research question.