Tuesday, September 12, 2017

OSCAR Student Genevieve Keillor Studies How the Depiction of Judith Beheading Holofernes Reflects the Societal Role of Women



My name is Genevieve Keillor and I am a junior at George Mason University. I am a History and Art History major. For my Undergraduate Research Project, I studied how the depiction of Judith Beheading Holoferenes reflects the role of women in society. In order to do this, I examined five case studies from different time periods. I decided to pursue a research project through the Undergraduate Research Scholars Program to gain experience in my field. I believe that conducting undergraduate research contributes to my career goals. In the future, I plan to pursue a master’s degree in Museum Studies and to work for an art museum. In doing independent research, I gained knowledge from the sources I read that I can use in my graduate studies as well as in my work as a gallery curator. I hope to incorporate gender theory into contemporary art exhibitions and eventually open a Museum of Women in the Contemporary Arts. Over the course of the summer, I studied one painting at a time and each case study took about a week to complete. Each week involved writing my analysis of art historical, primary, and secondary sources about the painting I was studying at the time as well as gender theory. About every two weeks, my mentor would edit my paper and help me in the direction of my research. I decided to write a research paper along with my final poster because it helped me synthesize my information effectively. I also hope to have my research published in an History or Art History journal. Finally, I discovered this summer that I was able to improve my writing since I had to communicate my argument in a scholarly manner.