Thursday, May 19, 2016

FWS Student Highlights: Tuvshintuya Gutierrez

My name is Tuvshintuya Gutierrez, a student majoring Information Technology. I have been working for College of Education and Human development at George Mason University as a research assistant under the supervision of Dr. King-Sears since February 2016.  My current tasks are converting data into statistical software SPSS and also converting files into spreadsheets for a research that being conducted to compare different instructional techniques on students’ academic performances.   


Being a part of the OSCAR Undergraduate Research Assistantship has brought a significant experience for me as an individual and for my future career goals.  Its significance remains in the skill set that I gain from work, which I value the most.  I learn different skills and experiences from assisting the research team that are essential for any professional career.  I feel lucky to have the opportunity to work with an amazing research team through OSCAR, learning from them what it takes to do the research.  I enjoy being a part of the research team and look forward to come to work on a weekly basis.  One thing I discovered while working on SPSS this week is how much functions and features can be undiscovered and unused within the technologies and their tools. I work on different tasks and we meet as a team on a weekly basis to discuss on-going projects and determine the goals. With that being said, my current position as a research assistant related to my long term professional career in many different ways.  To name a few, collaboratively working as a team, communicating effectively, planning ahead, and skills and in-depth working knowledge of technologies.