Thursday, March 30, 2017

Research Assistant Chyna Staten Enhances her Ability to Manage and Interpret Data


My name is Chyna Staten; I am a senior here at George Mason University. I am currently majoring in communication, with a minor in multimedia production. I was hired in Spring 2016 as an Undergraduate Assistant for the Center of Teaching and Faculty Excellence through OSCAR’s Undergraduate Research Assistant program. What interested me the most about this position was the opportunity to expand my skillset. Working with the center has taught me quite a few substantial new skills. The fact that I would be able to enhance my ability to manage and interpret data appealed to me. I was a marketing major my freshman year before I changed it to concentrate in public relations; working for the center has shown me that I still have a passion for data analytics and marketing. This position has helped me realize that I would like to attend graduate school to earn a degree in Marketing. My long-term goal is to merge my skills and interest in both communication and marketing to become a Marketing Strategist. On a weekly basis, I put turn quantitative data into qualitative— creating graphs and charts out of Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. I also help with website maintenance and advertising. The fast-pace environment of the Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence has definitely helped me with my time management. Every week, there is a new project or program that I am asked to assist with. This experience has not only strengthened my professional skills, but has also helped solidify my interests for the future.