Wednesday, January 20, 2016

URSP Student Sasha Pierre-Louis and the Perception of Task Leaders

I became interested in my current topics of research (leadership and diversity) through being involved on campus in the Leadership, Education and Development office and working as a Diversity, Inclusion and Multicultural Education creating community facilitator.  By working in these positions I began to want to learn and understand more about leadership and diversity in the context of organizations. I also wanted to answer some of my own questions that came up while working in these positions of leadership such as: What makes a good leader?  Are there things that hinder people from being good leaders?  Could race and gender potentially play a role?  These questions inspired me to enact upon my interest in leadership and diversity.

I am currently working under the direction of Dr. Eden King and doctoral student Ashley Membere in the Industrial/Organizational Psychology Department to complete this research project.  This semester we are highly focused on collecting data and presenting the proposed study in my Psychology Honors Research class.  I am also working to complete a written thesis based on this project and the research findings. Through this entire research process I have learned a lot about myself and what it takes to research what I am passionate about.  I am most grateful for the lesson of perseverance and determination because I believe that these qualities distinguish one from others who may be striving for the same goal.


My research project is a starting point to help me get to where I would like to be in future.  I plan to continue research in the topics of leadership and diversity in graduate school, becoming a scholar in the field and creating best practices for leadership and diversity in organizations and in the workplace.