Sunday, October 6, 2019

STIP Student Kinda Dabbagh Explores Forensic Nursing



I've always been drawn to research and I stumbled upon this opportunity by mistake. I love my major (nursing) and I’ve committed to pursuing psychiatric nursing. Detecting subtle injuries and photographing them can make a huge difference to anyone who has been through an instance of physical violence and being a part of a study that is trying to improve the clinical protocols for it made applying a no-brainer.

My long-term goal is to get my NP and help open a psychiatric ER. Domestic violence is an area of interest for me and exploring the forensic nurse specialty has opened my eyes to many details that I would need to consider when working with persons who have been through instances of physical violence. 

Every week is a different challenge. I do a lot of data analysis, but we were also given the opportunity to conduct our own study. Participant recruitment takes more energy than I anticipated, and we spend a significant amount of time on that. The rest of our time is dedicated to actually carrying out the study. 

I discovered that thinking critically is a skill and that I still have a lot to learn. I’m so grateful to have been exposed to minds that are creative and flexible. I was never particularly good at school; I still am not, but learning that thinking is a skill made a huge impact on me. Skills can be developed, and I hope that I can get to where I want to be.