Monday, November 23, 2015

URSP Student Sarah Farinelli Researches the Conservation Efforts for Florida Manatees

My project is about the conservation efforts for Florida manatees that have been implemented and how those actions are effecting the populations of Florida manatees. I am assessing whether or not certain action are positively affecting the populations, and if money spent on actions has any impact and what that might mean. In conservation money is a very important factor for a lot of people, which is why it’s important to consider this aspect of the conservation actions that have been implemented.

I aspire to be a marine conservation biologist, and in addition for my love of manatees this is what got me interested in this project. I am hoping to continue with this research for my master’s degree, or at least doing similar research with regards to endangered marine mammals. I hope as my education continues this research will aid when I do site research for manatees.


My time spent now is working on gathering all of the data to then be analyzed using statistical analysis. I have so far reviewed all 107 conservation actions that have been implemented and have categorized them into the types of actions that they are. I am currently contacting professionals in this field to get population data for the Florida manatee. I have also collected manatee mortality data. My next step is to organize all this information into an excel table to then be statistically analyzed.