Saturday, November 2, 2013

URSP Student Sweta Sedhai Researches Pro and Anti-inflammatory Cytokines and their Role in the NAFLD and Depression


I am an undergraduate, majoring in Medical Technology at George Mason University. I am currently working in the semester-long research project in chronic diseases under the supervision of Dr. Ancha Baranova, who is a Co-Director & Associate Professor in School of Systems Biology. Continuing my research work in this project at George Mason University will encourage me to expand my knowledge on Non alcoholic fatty related disease (NAFLD) and to aware general public about various other harmful chronic diseases. In addition, it will give me an opportunity to gain more experience in science research and to learn complex laboratory equipment of the modern technology. 

Becoming a successful Medical Scientist is one of the biggest goals of my life. In my opinion, to have a successful laboratory career in Medical Technology, one should have strong background on applicable science courses (such as Medical Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Cellular Biology) and utilized the knowledge learned in those science courses at modern clinical laboratory in an effective way. I believe that involving in this project will help me to reach my long term goal by learning more about human diseases and condition to improve human health.

We have laboratory meetings on every Friday morning. I am currently getting training on ELISA technique and qPCR from my mentor. The training on ELISA technique and qPCR will help me to perform the method section of my experiment.