Saturday, August 10, 2019

URSP Student Farhaj Mursh forms a Network Analysis of Kidney Trafficking in South Asia


Official law notice stating only family can donate.
Illegal kidneys often bought to substitute when
there's no match between relatives.
The field of kidney transplants and donation consists of multiple players such as organ donors, patients, transplant service/care providers (surgeons, hospitals and other caregivers), and medical tourism companies. Inter-actor social networks are inherent in organ transplantation since the system tends to operate and expand through social connections. There currently exists a limited number of network analyses on kidney transplantation and donation processes. Although there have been multiple case studies on organ donation, from our knowledge, the application of a social network analysis has not been explored or published, creating a gap and great necessity for it in the field’s literature (Declaration of Istanbul). These reasons, along with my desire to apply mathematics and statistics to improve my ancestral land of Bangladesh (a hub of kidney disease), are what got me interested in the project.
This past Fall semester, I spent time in Bangladesh conducting preliminary field work and research to obtain data for the mathematical model we hope to establish this semester. My main objective, was to create a network model, of how a illicit kidney sale occurs, and all the “who/what/where/when” involved. Now, on a weekly basis, I’ve been consolidating my data from the Fall and preparing it for the small-scale database that will turn into a larger agent-based model. One thing I discovered from this research this term is the significance impact medical policy has upon the common person’s livelihood. Socioeconomic status and wealth often determine if someone will be able to get a new kidney or not, or if their body will function properly after that. I see this project being related to my long-term goals as I hope to conduct data-oriented health research, and building off my focus in the Fall, I hope to implement these techniques to focus on the health and wellness of people all across the world.