Monday, February 13, 2017

Federal Work-Study student Frah Ejaz Works with 20 Year Old Data on Sedimentary Rocks



The Oscar project I have been working on is about geology where sedimentary rocks from the earth’s core are analyzed. The history, depth and age of the rocks are currently being determined to later publish findings in a research novel. The data I am working with is around 20 years old and is original data that another research assistant left behind because they graduated from George Mason University. There is no copy or imitation of this data anywhere, which makes working on this project all the more special. The main reason I am interested in working on this project is because I have the privilege to learn something new each day, which makes going to work very exciting. This current research has helped me to view biology from the perspective of nature and to open up my mind of the various possibilities that are in the field of science.

This research is related to my long-term goals in that it gives me the opportunity to practice the proper way to conduct, record and analyze data. This allows me to understand and help me grow each day in the field of research where I could one-day plan and conduct my own research for medical school. I now have an idea of the struggles and effort it takes to create a successful research experiment. Another reason why this is related to my long-term goals is that it is preparing me for what I should expect after George Mason University in the field of science, particularly Biology. The fact that I have grown passionate about this project is an indication that I am probably in the right field because I will be looking at things through a different perspective just like this project in the near future. What I do on a weekly basis is analyze and interpret data that is already scanned on the computer. I convert pictures in different programs and create, save and group files according to their locations at the Earth’s core.