Monday, October 31, 2016

URSP Student James Worfolk Rebuilds a Old Dell GCMS to Detect the Onset of Seizures


I was initially approached by Dr. Schreifels over the summer about working on some research with him for the fall semester. He said he was working on a rebuilding an old Dell GCMS that had been out of commission for a few years at that point. I particularly was intrigued by the reverse engineering aspects of the project because I have always been more of a hands-on person.

This project, if successful can be the groundwork of a new device to be used to detect the onset of seizures in patients through the volatile compounds they exude. I will be going into the medical profession because I am passionate about making sure people have the ability to suck all the juice from the apple we call life. Whether it be patient care or the medical side of research I will be fulfilling my goals and this project is along those lines.


I have been waiting on parts to come in from Great Britain, Italy, Michigan, and Canada. My weeks of late have been working with the Windows XP operating system and getting the 1992 GCMS software up and running. To do this, I had to purchase the software and run it on another software Virtualbox, I had previously used to navigate through multiple operating systems. Patience is the one thing I have discovered on a weekly basis this term. Waiting around for parts has been mind-numbingly slow. It has occurred to me that typical research can be a marathon at times, and an all-out sprint at others. Here is to preparing for my sprint.