Monday, August 8, 2016

URSP Student Highlights: Lucretia Sissoho


My name is Lucretia and I am a rising senior from The Gambia in West Africa, majoring in Bioengineering. I am currently working in the sensorimotor and function lab in the Nguyen Engineering building, working on further developing research on fNIRS. My project this summer is understanding and further developing the use of functional near infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) for analysing neural activity during bi-manual movements.

I decided to pursue this particular project because I am very passionate about discovering new means to analyze brain activity and in this case, during various minimal tasks and I feel that I would benefit further from dedicating my time to collect more data on fNIRS which can potentially lead to a breakthrough in the field; bearing in mind that it is considerably new, and very little research and experimentation has been done with it. It has potential and could eventually lead to further advances in how we analyze brain activity while the subject is performing motor tasks. I am interested in it primarily because of its convenience, as well as having very little limitations on motion and immaculate spatial resolution.

This being my first research experience, having the opportunity to collect raw data, verify and analyze it, as well as develop bimanual tasks and map the brain, has been memorable so far. I have had the honour of working with truly influential and inspiring people like Dr. Laurence Bray and Dr. Wilsaan Joiner, as well fellow undergraduate and graduate students.