Friday, August 5, 2016

URSP Student Highlights: King Cheng


My name is King Cheng, and I am a senior majoring in Computer Science. I am currently working with Dr. Shanjiang Zhu and his students. My main task on the project is developing an Android version of GMU parking helper application for mobile devices. The main purpose of the application is to inform the users how busy the parking lots are, and collecting data from users if only they agree to provide the information to us. On a daily basis, I spend most of the time developing features that interact with users and the database that manages crowdsource data. Moreover, testing the mobile app before publishing to Google Play store is another major task during the project development. I am also teaching myself how to use the features in Android Studio, which is a software that is used for developing Android application. I am also learning how to develop an Android application while working on the project. Even though Java uses the same language, there are many features, which I have not used before. Working on the project has helped me improve my problem solving skills and the skill of self-teaching. I believe these skills will be appealing to my future employers even though I may not work as a mobile app developer in the future.