Friday, March 22, 2013

URSP Highlights: Stephen Lippi


 
Spring 2013 URSP participant Stephen Lippi:

After switching to a major in Psychology from Chemistry, I decided to get involved in research here at Mason. When I worked with a graduate student in the Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience (formerly biopsychology) program under Dr. Jane Flinn, my interest in research increased. After working in the animal lab and learning about the research that was being done, I knew I wanted to be involved. I applied and was accepted into the Accelerated Master’s program in Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience and soon began to think about some way I could apply my chemistry knowledge to a project. That ended up being working with biometals. After reading research that the lab had conducted with animals and biometals and knowing just how important metals can be in the body, I applied to the OSCAR program and decided to work with Dr. Flinn to form a question and project that involved biometals and behavior. After reading background literature and research done by Dr. Flinn and the lab, Cu deficiency was seen to be an exciting and interesting metal to look at and connect to behavioral measures. My research project, “The Effects of Cu Deficiency on Fear Conditioning” combines my interest in Chemistry with my training in Behavioral and Physiological Psychology.
After graduating, I will continue to earn my M.A. from GMU in Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience and will apply to Ph.D. programs in order to pursue a Ph.D. in some form of biological psychology or neuroscience. I want, wholeheartedly, to become a professor after I earn my doctorate degree. Teaching is what I truly want to do with my life and conducting original research not only allows me to continue learning myself, but also provides experience that I can transfer into my classroom and with future undergraduates and graduate students.
On a weekly basis, I read background literature and maintain a research binder with all my articles that relate to my research topics and continue to work on my project’s plans and goals. Once my rats arrive to GMU, my weekly schedule will include handling and monitoring their health in order to maintain a healthy and happy life for them.
One thing I discovered this week was exactly how much work truly goes into doing research with animals, particularly in formulating a diet. In choosing to research Cu deficiency, I thought we could simply order a diet with lower Cu levels and that would be it. However, working with a great nutritionist, I've learned that so much planning is required and ingredient interaction occurs in diet development and that it takes much more work than simply saying “I want the Cu levels lower” in order to create a special diet for a study.