Tuesday, December 4, 2018

USTF Student Farbod Moghaddam Presents Research at the American Society of Mechanical Engineers International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exhibition


I had the opportunity to present a research project that I have been working on for over year at the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exhibition the weekend of November 9th – 11th. During my time at the conference, I attended committee meetings where I participated in conversations regarding early career engineer development and leadership enhancement for student projects. My colleagues and I also attended the ASME Old Guard competitions where the communication skills of pre-professional engineers were challenged in an effort to promote the development of societal engineers. At the undergraduate expo where I presented my poster on the development of high performance gas sensors based on 3D porous graphene and RFID, I met numerous undergraduates working on some incredibly fascinating topics including bone strength enhancement, development of nanofibers using worm silk, and introducing artificial bandgaps to graphene through atomic stitching for development of next generation transistors. Throughout the event I also had an opportunity to interact with faculty members from different universities and members from the industry to communicate the impact of our work and network. Overall, the experience was incredibly rewarding and eye opening in terms of what topics were being explored by other undergraduate researchers in the field.