Friday, January 22, 2016

URSP Student Erica Aileen Ty Conducts a Choreographic Study of Balancing Stillness and Motion in Order to Move Through Space

My idea for this project began through the childhood memories I have of trying to solve a rubix cube. On each side of the cube there are nine squares and each have a specified path and placement amongst the puzzle. I wanted to create a choreographic challenge for myself as an artist by using this inspiration in a dance piece. I wanted to create a study that demonstrates the maximum amount of movement I am able to place with set points throughout a given space. There is a mentality of dance focusing on “constant movement”, in my study I want to go against this mindset by playing with the idea of motion versus stationary and symmetry versus asymmetry. I am taking on two opposing choreographic techniques and using them at the same time. I believe that it is possible to have an equalized balance between two opposing ideas instead of centralizing oneself to a specific theme. The piece I created is entitled Fixation, this past semester I have been working to present this project through a film. I wanted to demonstrate how a choreographer sees a piece through the lens of a camera, and focus on the little details I want to be noticed.

For my long-term goals, I see this entire experience as a challenge to my leadership skills. I have been in multiple group projects before, but this by far has been an eye-opening endeavor into how to be an effective leader. I had the pleasure to work with some amazing dancers and film personnel who had the highest of work ethics. Although they were able to give their opinions or suggestions, in the end they turned to me for the final decision. Having this kind of recognition was new and I wanted to take advantage of it by being not only an affective leader but also a smart one.

During the beginning of the semester I would work on my project by planning out where we would be shooting the dance and what sections. I went over the list of shots we needed to get with my cinematographer and what equipment we would be using. Then on Saturday mornings we would all meet at the specified location and film for 3 to 4 hours. Currently, I now meet with my editor every Thursday to edit through and piece together the film. This week I discovered how truly meticulous the process of editing a film is. We had to narrow down one of our shots frame by frame in order for it to be perfectly synced with the music. I found out that having patience even with myself and those I work with will achieve more than remaining stressed by the problem.