Tuesday, May 26, 2015

URSP Student Kelly Pizzingrilli Researches the Effects of Communication Styles on Sports Performance


As a Division 1 soccer player at George Mason University, I have had the opportunity to experience communication from coaches, teammates, professors, and classmates.  However, what sparked my interest the most was the way in which collegiate college coaches communicated to and with their athletes.  My experience as a student-athlete has helped me to develop my study to research the relationship of coach’s communication characteristics and the effect on individual athlete performance. 

My research officially began in the fall of 2014 when I was accepted into the Honors Communication Research (Comm 490-491) class.  Under the guidance of my professor and mentor, Dr. Xiaomei Cai, I was able to effectively organize my thoughts and begin my research. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be immersed in this research experience and even more thankful that the Communication Department offers this amazing experience to its students.

At this point in my study, I have been approved by Senior Administration of Mason Athletics to research our NCAA Sport Student-Athletes.  In the next few weeks, I will collect data from 5-6 teams through a voluntary survey using Qualtrics online survey software, and following Spring Break I will begin data analysis.  Additionally, I will be presenting my research in a poster presentation at the Eastern Communication Association Conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in April 2015.   

Upon graduation in May, I hope to make my way into the field of Market Research, which will require many of the skills and experience that I have developed through my current study.  My passion for research has grown over the past few months, as I continue to learn, question, and develop new skills and ideas for my study, and I’m excited to see the final results!