Monday, October 21, 2013

URSP Student Kevin Kruczek Researches Religion, Explanation and the New Interdisciplinary


     My interest in my current project peaked during my seminar class last semester. In that class I was able to read a vast variety of literature in my own field of religious studies on topics ranging from method, approach, defining the subject matter, and pedagogy (which are all intrinsically related). During the class I discovered that I disagreed with nearly all of the contemporary scholarship on these subjects and I even wrote a paper voicing my position for the class. My professor then approached me and informed me that she was working on a project that dealt similarly with some of the critiques I had made. This project relates to my long term goals in more of an indirect way. As a Christian, it is often the case that my scholarship is viewed as biased or even anti-intellectual, however, I do intend to pursue graduate work so that I am more equipped to offer critical analysis of the field of religious studies and suggest a better model. But my graduate studies will be more in Biblical studies and philosophy than in religious studies in particular. 

     My week to week work has been consistent in that I spend the large majority of my time reading. I have read several articles written by philosophers of science on method, logic, the purpose of science. I am currently reading John Calvin’s Institutes on the Christian Religion and Nancy Pearcey’s Total Truth (about 1700 pages altogether). One thing I have discovered this week is that it is far better to ask questions than to offer answers.